Monday, May 10, 2004

I took and deep breath and savoured my surroundings. Everything looked the same. The grass was as lushy as ever and the trees were in there familiar spots. The air was dry and humid. The sky was cloudless. This resulted in the sun sending its rays down to earth mercilessly. As the strolled down the path, the dried leaves rustled under my feet. Everything thing looked the same.

I pictured myself running up that hill. I would be half panting half laughing. The long grass would tickle my feet and the love grass would cling on to my socks. Ah.. those ever the days. Those were the days when I had not seen the world. Those were the days when my parents were still young. I have seen them aged over the years. From a young couple who knows nuts about rasing kids to a couple who are wise beyond their years.
The hill would always be there to remind of the time when my father was still young and healthy.

My father is a man of few words but big actions. He does not know how to express himself through words. It could be his chinese up bring, but what ever it is, his actions are louder than words. I remebered the days when I was in primary school. On fridays, I would sit at and desk waiting for school the end. When the bell rang, obediently lined up and walked to the canteen to be dismissed. And there he would be without fail. He would come up to me, take my school bag from my and ask me how was my day. Then, we would take a slow walk home. On my way home, he never fail to buy me an ice cream ( that could have resulted in me being a sweet tooth up to this age) . Every week he would do it without fail. On one particular day, I dropped my ice cream. I was devastated. Well, my father said he would buy me 2 next week. And true to his word, I got 2 ice cream the following week. He always dotes on me. Until this age, he never faiils to ask me for my needs. When I ask for something, he always gave it to me. Now at his age of 50, it pains me to see him working so hard for the family. I want him to stop and relax. His age is catching up with him and so is his health. Some times I wish I can just make him and mummy stop working and let me do all the work. "Daddy, I promise you that you would not have to work once I go out there. You will have anything you ask for and I will make you proud. I love you Daddy."

Posted by jasmine at 9:23 PM